Forgiveness: One

Introduction to this Devotional Series: Forgiveness

Hey, ya'll. I'm a survivor.  And I have searched for months for a good devotional series for survivors of sexual assault, and while there is some good material out there, it seems to be scattered far and wide.  And the past few weeks, God has been tugging on my heart to share what I have been learning about forgiveness.  So, I'm making a blog devoted specifically to this.  I'm not sure how regularly I will post, but I am hoping to at least once a week.  I will spend a few posts on this topic, and then I will continue to move on and write what I'm learning about.  Each series will be formatted differently, so if you don't like this one, or if it does not apply to you, check back in at the next series, and perhaps it will.  :-)


Forgiveness: One

But He was pierced for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our inequities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on Him,
and by His wounds we are healed.
Isaiah 53:3 NIV

Forgiveness.  It seems like such an easy concept, but it is so difficult to put into practice. And it seems easier for some things than others.  Like, when my dog accidentally bites me while I'm playing with him? Easy, forgiven.  

But some things are harder.  When friends hurt me, I don't know how to forgive, and when a guy manipulated me and treated me like I wasn't a person to care about, but an object? I'm really struggling to forgive.

I think the first thing to really consider and take to heart is the true definition of forgiveness.  
The dictionary definition of "forgive" is: stop feeling angry or resentful toward someone for an offense, flaw, or mistake.

And this is something I didn't truly consider for too long.  In my head, forgiveness meant reconciliation.  It meant not admitting what happened really bothered, and continues to bother, me.  For me, forgiveness meant moving forward, while forgetting the past.  However, forgiveness is not forgetting, but it is moving forward.  It is healing and peace.  

I've always looked to Jesus to see how I am supposed to forgive.  And His forgiveness has brought me great comfort. In the book of Isaiah, specifically in Isaiah 52:13-53:12, the prophecy of Jesus's suffering is laid out.  'And by His wounds, we are healed.'

So, how can I bring that kind of healing into my life?  And do I have to endure a great suffering to forgive this guy?  For the longest time, I thought forgiveness meant pain.  Jesus forgiving us caused Him so much pain, as we see in the passage in Isaiah, and if you have a Christian background, you know through the Holy Week story.  However, forgiveness is a complete 180 of pain: it is releasing my pain.  Jesus already suffered the pain of this sin on the cross.  I do not have to carry it with me every day.  I know that is easier said than done, but the first step to true forgiveness and peace is recognizing what forgiveness truly is: releasing our pain.

You see, I do not have to do all of this work alone.  Jesus is there to carry me through and to do the hard work for me.  He already bore this sin on the cross.  I do not have to suffer, He has already suffered for me.  And by His wounds, I am healed.  This is the first thing that has brought me a great peace in my healing.  

By His wounds, I am healed.  Repeat that.  Consider what that means.  We do not have to daily live with these wounds, because His wounds healed us already.  

One of the things I have found most useful in this season of healing has been to have a journal, and to always write.  I will include journaling ideas in this devotional to encourage you to do the same. 

Write

What are Jesus's wounds?  What are the wounds I have that I can surrender to Jesus?  What does it mean that by His wounds, I am healed?

Pray

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for your sacrifice of your Son.  Thank you for allowing Him to bear the burden of my hurts and of our sins.  I confess that there are days I do not take this to heart.  This burden has been heavy on my heart, and I have let it fill me up.  Help me to fill my heart back up with you, and to release this grip I have by forgiving.  Help me to know what that looks like, and how You wish for me to move my life forward in Your direction.  In your Son's name I pray, amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: Three

Forgiveness: Two